Friday, June 22, 2007

JC Anderson - Whirlpool VP Retires

Last week something strange happened. Typically I'm very cynical about Corporate America. I try not to be, and I wish I could get over myself. Last week I think I took a step in that direction.

The former Vice President of Operations here in Evansville, JC Anderson, retired from the company. Recently he worked on all the details of the Maytag acquisition working out of corporate, but he made a stop through Evansville on his retirement tour.

He was part of the reason the union took a large pay cut in the early 90's, but even older folks in the union think it was a necessary step in keeping Evansville in operation. During the speech he gave he became very emotional at certain points, specifically when talking through that very pay cut. He spoke about his career and the long hours, etc. The whole tribute was pretty impressive.

What was the most impressive, however, was the list of 50 things he wanted to do after he retired. One, in particular, struck a cord with me. He said every 5 years he wants to send a letter to his immediate family (wife, kids, grand kids) telling them what he thinks about them. He became emotional here as well. Basically, these letters will be an avenue to offer unsolicited advice, while at the same time telling everyone how much they mean to him, which often is taken for granted, especially when you "get up there in years". I thought that was a terrific idea and think I will be adopting that, but prior to my retirement. Every milestone birthday (30, 35, 40, etc.) I think I will do this. So, for those of you who are close to me, let it be known in 3 years and 3 months you will be receiving a letter from me saying how much you mean to me and perhaps some constructive criticism if warranted. Occasionally I come across a letter my dad wrote me as I graduated college. It's amazing the amount of emotion something simple like a snail mail letter (or letter that was handed to you) can bring about. I really ought to have responded to him somehow to let him know how much he means to me, but I think I'll wait 3 1/4 years. I suppose this forum is as good as any to give him a taste of that appreciation, so, dad, I think you're great.

As I left the tribute to the man I was struck with an overwhelming awe of how much everyone in the room seemed to admire him. When I shook his hand I said "In the 5 years that I've worked here I have NEVER heard anyone say anything even REMOTELY negative about you. I find that absolutely amazing. Have a good retirement". I figured that was about as good as I could do, being a punk 26 year old kid. Plus I couldn't talk to him long since he had a flight to catch...

In any event, it allowed me an opportunity to inspect my path in life and think about where I would like to go. I'm still thinking. Feel free to offer suggestions or constructive criticism (not in the Jake Elwood vein hopefully).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Advice: Just don't let your boss feed you too many "shit sandwiches" and you should be good to go :) I've had a few in my day, and they are never fun.

I like the 5 year letter idea, more families should do that. Although if the family members already have strained relationships, the letters could make them even more so.

Anonymous said...

At about 28 years out of college the only advice I would offer you is this: take some risks that involve challenging yourself to be better than you are and that make you uncomfortable. In my experience, the downside isn't as bad as your mind makes it up to be.

Anonymous said...

It's been a long time since the last comment was posted, but what the heck? I know an work with JC - he is a consultant and mentor for our company. And you pegged JC perfectly. My advise? "Do more than your paid for."

Anonymous said...

J. C Anderson ruined a lot of lives without a care in the world and for you to talk about him as a great leader is wrong, he is a destroyer without a care of other human beings. A Selfish psychopath who thinks the world can't exist without him.

He should be crying over the union taking a huge pay cut just to keep their jobs Some employees have been there for years. Bet he got a big bonus for that and a few others like the board of whirlpool.

My hope is that he has a terrible retirement and somehow pays dearly for all the lives he has ruined.