Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Excellent weather - instant publishing

When the weather is nice, you won't be finding any posts. I've recently grown quite addicted to playing frisbee golf. I played 21 rounds in April. The other day I shot the best round of my life at Mesker Park, so I'm feeling pretty good. The only problem is my "tennis elbow". I always aggravate it when I throw forehand or overhead if I'm stuck in the trees and need to blast my way out of there. Someone stole one of the holes at USI.

I also have been rollerblading to enjoy the weather as well, plus all the chores around the house and I work out on the weekends, and I have been really busy at work (except for right now...), so I have been productive, even though I haven't been blogging.

On an unrelated topic, I realized why the internet is the best thing since sliced bread. All the liberal blogs on my link list to the right keep complaining about how terrible the media is. They don't actually report anything, they don't do very good research, they keep all their sources secret (even when there is absolutely no reason to, such as using statements like "some say Hillary Clinton sounds shrill", why don't they just quote someone? How hard would that be?), etc. Basically, the internet is a way to level the playing field. There is no barrier to entry. All you need is an IP address. With that you can have instant publishing, literally. It has allowed the same leap in information distribution that the printing press allowed. John P. from the coffeehouse thinks there are two sides to this sword. I agree to an extent and realize this also makes the amount of absolute crap on the internet pretty high, but there are ways around this such as "digg" and other such services. But there is still some quality stuff that will never make it's way onto digg or whatever site you prefer to sift through to find pearls of wisdom or pearls of hilarious shit or whatever it is you're into. The way to find those sites is by word of mouth. If you have quality crap on your site, people will read it, eventually.

But, it seems to me there is a great opportunity to replace the media in general with enough people reporting things on their own. Large communities of people are now gathering at various sites to discuss issues at length. Dailykos is a huge liberal community, but people actually do disagree with each other there. I don't go there besides to read one or two posters stuff because I find them amusing, but I think the idea that a large group of citizens can gather and report the news as they see it is quite useful. Granted, that site is slanted way left, but it doesn't have to be that way. That's sort of my point. What is stopping the people from taking over the media? Nothing. My generation is waking up to how piss poor the media does it's job, especially millionaire pundits like Chris Matthews or Brit Hume or Wolf Blitzer. They are all clueless shits who make millions. We don't need them any more. I think the next 20-30 years will show this to be the case. What I would like to see is a truly neutral site that actually discusses the merits of arguments, not how much a hair cut cost or whether Hillary is too shrill or that Romney is a Mormon. Just give me some facts, actually, give me ALL the facts. I will make the decisions about character, thank you very much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember this saying that made the rounds in the 80's - Life is like a shit sandwich. the more bread you have, the less shit you have to eat.

While cute and quasi-clever, it is wrong. No matter how much bread there is you still have to eat the same amount of shit. Which I think best describes what you get in all the political, religious or secular blogs.

I have become too much of a cynic in my old age to trust what the apparent motives are of anyone. Most folks who create gathering sites for online punditry are usually in it for the recognition or the money. We all can beat our gums and toss in our $0.02 worth an create our own spin on a situation but few of us are willing to step up and at least have the courage of our convictions and DO something about this, that or the other.

Too that end I am seriously considering running for city council because I think that my ideas and input are better for what my town needs than the folks that are running. Not that they have bad ideas - I just think mine are better. So I may just hang it all out there and see what happens. At least I know I will have a forum where my ideas will be heard and considered by the folks that would benefit from same.

We shall see - this is not an official announcement. When I do that it will be on the Letterman Show. Or not.

mikebdot said...

People that blog for the money will eventually become no different than the pundits that live in million dollar homes and try to talk about poverty like they can empathize. Memories of living in poverty and actually living in poverty are completely different things. Anderson Cooper can emote through the camera all he wants, but that doesn't make him less of a hack.

The fear of financial ruin is so great in this country that it takes a lot of courage to even have convictions anymore. There is nothing WRONG with financial ruin. At some point the collective conscious will realize this. But using financial ruin as a crutch upon which to survive via the various government programs that try to help get your head above water is indeed WRONG.

There's this 70+ year old guy that comes into the coffee house running for city council. He says he wants to light a fire under everyone's ass. He's not in very good shape physically, but I'm pulling for him, just out of sheer principle.