Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Evansville (Modern) Living

I recently purchased some rollerblades in order to get to the point where I could play roller hockey with an adequate amount of staying upright long enough to control the puck for more than five or six strides, but I've come to find out that Evansville sort of sucks for those who rollerblade. It seems there is a lack of certain equipment necessary to play roller hockey. And by "certain" I mean "most".

"Dick's" (whose name ought to tell you something about the help they employ and it certainly does) is quite possibly my least favorite store at the moment. I'm not sure I'll ever shop there again. One time I went in there looking for pedals, you know, for a bicycle, and they didn't have any! Well, it turns out, they don't have any roller hockey equipment. "Dunham's", a local-ish sports store recently went out of business so I have no idea what to do now. I think I'll have to order from online, but that is always a crap shoot.

Actually, I take it back, Circuit City is my least favorite store in Evansville, because at least Dick's actually has some frisbee golf discs (what can I say, I had a fix, so to speak, and HAD to buy a Valkyrie). I don't think I've ever been talked to in there by anyone other than someone I've deliberately sought out. I think at one point I said very loudly "I have cash money and would like to purchase something". It's a shame it's come to that. I guess that's what happens when you have these mega-stores who have seem to have 50-100 people working in them at any given point. I think I would have liked it better 40 years ago when people owned stores and lived on top of them. Although, that's not to say I want "Dick's" or "Target" to build condos on top of their buildings for their employees, but that might actually be kind of cool...

Anyone else have least favorite places to shop?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best Buy, also known as "Satan's Store".

mikebdot said...

I am 100% not surprised by that one.

Anonymous said...

I personally hate Wal-Mart, at any time of day. More specifically I can't stand the Evansville east side store. The last time I went there, approximately 1 year ago, I needed a b-day gift for a 10 year old boy. Nerf guns seems to work, however, I couldn't find one. I found someone in a trendy red vest who offered to help, but only after he attended his mandatory store meeting. The most important detail of this story was that it was 5:30pm. What idiot store manager makes the bulk of his staff attend a mandatory meeting at 5:30pm?!! This time, in my mind, has got to be one of the busiest times of the day, but whatever...I left, went to Target like I should have in the first place...