Sunday, April 15, 2007

Why Secular Humanism?

In truth, I have no idea, but if you think this wikipedia article on it is a trusted source, then it's because I agree with the basic tenets. It pretty well summarizes the way I try to live my life, even though sometimes I fail to live up to the main ideals. From the looks of it I probably switch from "Humanism" to "secular humanism", but my general skepticism in a higher being usually makes me lean toward the latter.

In case you're wondering, I don't think "secular humanism" ought to be taught in public schools as "the" ethos everyone should learn about, but I think it ought to be taught right alongside any other religious doctrine. Which is to say, yes, I think all religions should be taught in schools, or at least a wide variety of them. It ought to be a requirement. Yes, I think kids ought to be able to pray in school, as long as it doesn't distract other kids and kids are not encouraged actively to participate. I feel torn about outlawing prayer in schools because I know it is customary to pray a certain number of times per day for various sects of certain religious organizations, so outlawing prayer in schools effectively outlaws you from practicing your religion, but there is certainly some line to be drawn as I could develop a religion that requires adherents to pray 12 times per hour (or some ludicrous number that would definitely prevent a subject from being taught effectively). I'm not sure what the answer is, but the best part about secular humanism is that regardless, it doesn't really affect me one way or the other.

I'm going to try to post to this blog daily, so we'll see how that goes. The intent will be to spur an lively discussion. In fact, sometimes I'll post specific questions I would like to know the answers to and have no idea how to go about doing the research, or will pose the question for other people to research and this will be a repository for the answer to said question once it is confirmed via multiple sources.

k bye

No comments: