Thursday, April 19, 2007

My Generation

Why is it that my generation insists on putting the word "like" in sentences in which no simile is being constructed and nobody has the hots for somebody else? I used to do this quite frequently (as my dad would surely attest, as every time I said it he would correct me in this vein: "We had tennis practice for like 3 hours" and he would respond "so, was it 2 hours and 59 minutes or 3 hours and 1 minute" or some other such response to let me know "like" and "around" or "approximately" do not mean the same thing). Since I was corrected so much in my youth, I get very irritated upon hearing other people say it once every 4 or 5 seconds.

It's great that language can change. It's almost a living breathing organism in itself, but the outright bastardization and nonsensical crap that comes out of my generation's collective mouth just sickens me sometimes. Is education really that poor in America or do we just not give a flying shit? I'm guessing it's some of both.

Note: In case anyone is wondering, this evening at Pennylane, two people sitting behind me sucked my intellect into a void of nothingness that made me want to crawl into a ball and suck my thumb. Gosh, this isn't very humanistic of me. Oh well. Nobody is perfect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it is laziness, sometimes it is the changing of the times and a phase that our culture passes through. Phrases such as "this is my take" in referencing one's opinion, "my bad" to frame that an error was made on one's part. I find it interesting that both of these come from the world of sports reporting. There is a perceived "cool" factor when you can lay it down like the big boys do. Past generations had their phrases that were equally obtuse and certainly annoying. Coming from the generation of "Far out!", I, too, should hang my head in shame.